Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I Was Made For Lovin' You

Why are the trials and tribulations of marriage not explained before you enter into this sacred, eternal union? Marriage is a secret society, where only after you say "I Do" forever, that you discover it is not all about romance and bliss.

Bride and groom kissing

But instead is about give and take and sacrifice.

Tug of war, male and female hands

I think our friend's are afraid, and accurately so, that if we knew just how difficult marriage really was...we would run like hell in the other direction.

Legs of running man

Now don't get me wrong, I love my husband and I love being married.

Italy, Venice, couple having drinks on balcony, smiling, dusk

I firmly believe God designs someone special for each of us, that we were "made for lovin'", because anyone else would kill them. In fact, we just celebrated our 9th anniversary; or tour, as I like to call it. And by tour I'm not referring to the rock concert kind, but in fact, the war kind.

Two young friends dressed in camouflage saluting

And this battle is animalistic in nature. Survival of the fittest!

Two hippopotami (Hippopotamus amphibius) duelling in waterhole, Kenya

Now, I don't know if the hippos are fighting or kissing here, but marriage is basically the same. Your fights usually start over something ridiculous, and before it's all over with, you have no idea what you were fighting about in the first place.

Young man with hand in hair

Hopefully one, or both of you, are big enough to call truce, kiss, and make up.

Teenage couple kissing

At our house, things are a little more competitive. It's a competition of wills to see who can hold out the longest. Because if you win, then obviously you are not the weaker sex.

Fencers Saluting Each Other

When I say it like that, it sounds so immature. And rightly so.

P.S. In marriage, there is no one winner or loser. You either both win or you both lose. As corny as it sounds, you are officially a team. And a team that plays together...say it with me..."stays together". ...or something like that.

Fortunately for us, we like to take turns making an ass of ourselves.

Donkey

You know, share the wealth. And we love each other enough to get over ourselves, laugh about it, kiss, and make up.

Young couple on the beach

What is the point to all this you ask? I guess to tell you to be kind to your spouse, laugh...a lot, and never hesitate to say I'm sorry. In the long run, it doesn't really matter who's right, or who's wrong. What matters is that you finish the race.

Couple Stretching on Waterfront

No comments:

Post a Comment