Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Beans, Beans, the Musical Fruit

God give me strength!! I can hear my grandmother in my head and picture her standing, arms outstretched, looking up toward heaven. She did this when us kids drove her to the point of insanity. I'm glad she had him on her side, otherwise, I don't think she would have made it.

Your probably thinking, why is that the image you conjur up when thinking of your grandmother? It's not. The image of her is angelic, wise, peaceful, and loving; however, anytime one of my children does something that makes me count backward from 10, this is the image I see. You can thank my youngest son, who will be 2 on Sunday, for today's antics.

Griffin's school, as do all schools, has a sensory table for the toddlers. My son decided (I don't know if decided is the correct word I'm looking for here, because I'm not sure how much deduction a 2 year old possesses) it would be fun to shove a bean up his nose. Yes, all the way.

Toddler girl (21-24 months) touching nose, close-up

Fortunately for Griffin's teacher, either I've already lost my mind, or God's blessed me with extreme calm because I have two sons. You see, I don't tend to excite in these types of situations. And these situations always arise when either a) my doctor's office is closed, or b) when my loving husband is unavailable, or c) all of the above. Today was a good day. It was c.

I know you're yelling at the screen, "So what happened?!?! What did you do?!?!" Calm down. I did what any smart mom would do. I called my Aunt Ruthie. She is the one person I knew could have gone through this before. And I was correct in doing so. It appears my cousin, Blake, also played bury the bean when he was Griffin's age. *Moms with young children, make a mental note right now incase this happens to you.* The doctor told Aunt Ruthie the bean is too large to travel all the way up the nasal cavity. This is good news. Then he extracted the bean with a pair of tweezers.

Surgeon performing operation

As I stated earlier, my pediatrician's office is closed on Wednesdays, and my darling husband is out of pocket. What does this mean, you ask?! It means we wait.

And as luck would have it, we didn't have to wait long. Ms. Sharon just called to share the good news. Said bean has been extracted!

Today's lesson: People please hug, and/or thank, your child care provider when you pick up your kids today. They didn't choose this profession for the fortune or fame. They chose it because they love your children. And for that we should eternally be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment